Important: To get started, click the blue "Filter Options" button to select your vehicle and then use the filters to narrow your options.
Important: To get started, select your vehicle on the left and then use the filters to narrow your options.
What is an alternator?
An alternator is an electrical generator that converts mechanical energy to electrical energy in the form of alternating current. It is a type of rotating electrical machine that is used in modern vehicles to charge the battery and to power the electrical system when its engine is running.
What is the purpose of an alternator?
The primary purpose of an alternator is to generate, or generate and regulate, electrical power to run and recharge the vehicle's battery and electrical systems.
How can I tell if my alternator is faulty?
There are a few signs that may indicate a faulty alternator. These include:
- Dim headlights or interior lights
- Poor acceleration
- Dashboard warning lights
- Unusual sounds from the alternator
- Dead battery
Can a faulty alternator cause damage to the vehicle?
Yes, a faulty alternator can cause damage to the vehicle. This can include damage to the battery and other electrical system components.
How do I replace an alternator?
Replacing an alternator is a complex process that usually requires the help of a professional mechanic. Generally, the steps involved are:
- Disconnect the negative battery cable
- Remove the alternator belt
- Remove the alternator mounting bolts
- Disconnect the wiring harness from the alternator
- Install the new alternator
- Reconnect the wiring harness
- Reinstall the alternator mounting bolts
- Reinstall the alternator belt
- Reconnect the negative battery cable