Engine Valve Cover Gaskets
Important: To get started, click the blue "Filter Options" button to select your vehicle and then use the filters to narrow your options.
Important: To get started, select your vehicle on the left and then use the filters to narrow your options.
What is an engine valve cover gasket?
An engine valve cover gasket is a seal between the valve cover and the cylinder head of an internal combustion engine. It is usually made of rubber and cork, and its purpose is to keep oil from leaking out of the engine.
How can I tell if my engine valve cover gasket is faulty?
You can tell if your engine valve cover gasket is faulty if you notice oil leaking from the valve cover or if you hear a hissing sound coming from the valve cover.
Can a faulty engine valve cover gasket cause damage?
Yes, a faulty engine valve cover gasket can cause damage to other engine components if left unchecked, as oil can leak and cause wear on other parts.
How do I replace an engine valve cover gasket?
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the valve cover and gasket.
- Clean the surfaces of the valve cover and the cylinder head.
- Apply gasket sealant to the new gasket.
- Install the new gasket and the valve cover.
- Tighten the valve cover bolts evenly and in a criss-cross pattern.
- Reconnect the negative battery cable.