Important: To get started, click the blue "Filter Options" button to select your vehicle and then use the filters to narrow your options.
Important: To get started, select your vehicle on the left and then use the filters to narrow your options.
What are tailgate links?
Tailgate links, also known as tailgate cables, tailgate straps, or tailgate supports, are components that connect the tailgate to the vehicle's body. They provide support when the tailgate is open, preventing it from dropping too far and ensuring it remains level with the truck bed or cargo area.
How do I know if my tailgate links need to be replaced?
Signs that your tailgate links may need to be replaced include:
- Excessive sagging or unevenness when the tailgate is open
- Visible wear, rust, or damage on the links or attachment points
- Difficulty opening or closing the tailgate due to excessive tension or slack
- Broken or snapped links
Are tailgate links universal or specific to certain vehicle makes and models?
Tailgate links are typically specific to certain vehicle makes, models, and years. It is essential to select tailgate links compatible with your vehicle to ensure proper fit and function. Check your vehicle's owner's manual or contact the manufacturer for compatibility information.
How do I replace my tailgate links?
Replacing tailgate links generally involves the following steps:
- Open the tailgate and support it with a suitable prop or have someone hold it in place.
- Remove the bolts or clips attaching the old tailgate links to the tailgate and vehicle body.
- Attach the new tailgate links to the tailgate and vehicle body, ensuring proper alignment.
- Tighten the bolts or clips securely and test the tailgate for proper operation.
If you are not comfortable with this process, consider having a professional mechanic perform the replacement.
How much do tailgate links cost?
The cost of tailgate links can vary depending on the brand, material, and vehicle compatibility. Prices can range from $10 to over $50 for a pair. Be sure to research and compare prices to find the best option for your budget and vehicle.
What materials are tailgate links made of?
Tailgate links are typically made from durable materials such as steel or stainless steel, ensuring they can support the weight of the tailgate and resist wear, rust, and corrosion.
How do I maintain my tailgate links to ensure their longevity?
To maintain your tailgate links and ensure their longevity, follow these tips:
- Regularly inspect the links and attachment points for wear, rust, or damage.
- Clean the links with soap and water to remove dirt, debris, and road salt.
- Apply a light coat of oil or lubricant to the pivot points to prevent rust and ensure smooth operation.
- Replace the tailgate links as needed to ensure proper tailgate function and safety.