Important: To get started, click the blue "Filter Options" button to select your vehicle and then use the filters to narrow your options.
Important: To get started, select your vehicle on the left and then use the filters to narrow your options.
What is a steering gear?
A steering gear is a mechanical device used to convert steering wheel turns into the turning of a vehicle’s wheels. It is an important part of a vehicle’s steering system and is located near the front of the vehicle.
What are the common signs of a faulty steering gear?
Common signs of a faulty steering gear can include:
- A noise or grinding sound when turning the steering wheel
- Difficulty or increased effort when turning the steering wheel
- Excessive play in the steering wheel
- Vehicle veering to one side while driving
Can a faulty steering gear cause damage to other parts of the vehicle?
Yes, a faulty steering gear can cause damage to other parts of the vehicle, such as tires, suspension components, and other steering components.
How do you replace a steering gear?
Replacing a steering gear is a complex procedure and is best done by a professional. The general steps involved in replacing a steering gear include:
- Disconnecting the battery
- Removing the steering wheel
- Taking off the steering column
- Removing the old steering gear
- Installing the new steering gear
- Reinstalling the steering column
- Reinstalling the steering wheel
- Reconnecting the battery